12.28.2013

Like a Rocket to the Moon


Dubai on a rare cloudy day
Max followed me to Dubai for some library training in November. That's right, we take turns wearing the pants in this house. I didn't know what to expect and it turned out to be one of the most conflicting travel experiences I've had to date.  I was both amazed and distraught, over and underwhelmed.  

I will say this - when we got in the crowded elevator at the base of the Burj Khalifa, tallest building in the world, and the elevator ascended 124 floors to the observation deck and the lights inside the elevator blinked faster and faster and the music grew more frantic and my ears popped as we climbed higher, a bit of panic crept into my chest.  I imagined us shooting up through the top of the needle tipped structure and bursting out into the clouds - Wonkavator style.  Or a real life rocket to the moon.     

Burj Khalifa: Tallest Building in the World - 163 floors
The outer observation deck.  Clouds people - that's how high up we were

View from the inner observation area
Diver Fountain - one of many attractions inside the Dubai Mall, largest mall in the world. 
I know, yet another superlative. 
 These ships are loaded with all kinds of goods - baby play pens, tires, washing machines - bound for Iran. 
Water Taxi across the Dubai Creek. 
Water Taxi Station
 

2 comments:

  1. amazing photos. What a tour you're having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazed and distraught, over and underwhelmed? I would love an elaboration.

    ReplyDelete