4.25.2014

Solomon, I Have Surpassed You

Islam, Christianity, Shiny-shiny  - it's all there in the Hagia Sophia

Every day of our week in Istanbul I ate honeycomb with salty cheese for breakfast, wandered backstreets and side streets and main streets, saw amazing Byzantine and Ottoman history, ate more great food, took long baths, drew and painted, read a fantastic book about Istanbul* and then went to bed early to do it again the next day.  It was incredible. 

On our second day Max and I found a nook in the Hagia Sophia Byzantine Church (then Aya Sophia Mosque) and spent some time drawing, talking, reading, writing, thinking.  The current incarnation of this massive church was built in 537 by the emperor Justinian and upon its completion he stood inside, looking up (as the story goes) and said aloud

“Solomon, I Have Surpassed You”

Max let me reenact the moment inconspicuously in the corner as I’d been imaging for weeks, but was still a little embarrassed.  I read about this a few months ago and I haven’t been able to shake the image of  Justinian, dressed in finery and jewels, reveling in his excess.  The hubris, the insertion of himself into the grand biblical narrative, his historical envy and obsession with legacy!  I’m not saying I think it’s awesome, but that it’s fascinating.  I have wondered a lot about what motivated these people to create such incredible structures when the scope of those who would enjoy them was relatively small – they certainly wouldn’t have been able to show it off to their friends on facebook the next day.  But perhaps their intended scope was much, much broader than I first imagined - back to Solomon and forward into eternity.        
This is an even better juxtaposition of Islam and Christianity
I thought about excess a lot as we toured the Topkapi palace that afternoon.  The palace was completed in 1465 for the Sultan and the juiciest part of the tour is the Sultan’s Harem.  But, as I read, this wasn’t a Dionysian free for all, a bacchanal of epic proportions.  The rules of the Harem were set and strictly enforced by the Queen Mother.  People wrote this as if to make things less strange, but as I wrote in my journal that day it's not LESS weird if the harem is controlled by the 'Queen Mother'....it's definitely more...
Ceiling in Topkapi Palace

Another Ceiling in Topkapi Palace
One afternoon I toured the Chora Church (later the Kariye Mosque and currently a museum) which is perhaps the finest example of Byzantine mosaic work in the world.  It was spectacular.  I tackled it with an archeological guide book and spent the better part of an hour in one corner trying to understand how light worked on miniature golden tiles and what each scene represented.  It was beautiful, intricate and excessive – even by today’s standards - and my brain melted a little bit trying to understand the time, energy and craftsmanship it must have taken in the early 5th century when it was built. 



One of several AMAZING mosaic ceilings in the Chora Church
We felt like Kings on this trip.  Not that we indulged, in fact, we didn’t.  Not in the traditional sense anyway.  We mostly ate elevated street food, bought discounted museum passes and walked everywhere.  But to explore these amazing buildings, be so close to history, eat (many) simple but filling meals, be free from morning to night to wander and draw and read and make new friends – that is real decadence.
Blue Mosque Courtyard
 Cistern
Yeni "New" Mosque


*"My Name is Red" by Orhan Pamuk.  I'm still not finished but it's really great

12 comments:

  1. I loved visiting Turkey so much! I just couldn't get over the history (piled on history, piled on history). So glad you had a good trip. Gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MBC! I love the "piling" in places like this.

      Delete
  2. Brookie You are great with a camera. I love your pictures. Without being too pushy please post some of your drawings. Love Jumpertz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok, ok I will get more brave :) In the mean time, I'll post some to my bookbinding blog

      http://brookeerinlibrarianandbookbinder.blogspot.com/2014/04/visual-journal-istanbul.html

      Delete
  3. Istanbul is INCREDIBLE, but when you really stop to absorb the amount of history, accomplishment, craftsmanship, and beauty it blows your mind. So glad you got to experience it! Your pictures are awesome - especially the ceiling shots which are so hard to get in focus. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nomads! After I posted all these pictures I noticed that most of them were looking up... I guess it makes sense that some of the most beautiful things in Istanbul have been preserved because they are nearly impossible to get close to :)

      Delete
  4. I (heart) the pictures. Especially the one with the Mickey Mouse looking chandelier and the windows in the background. And the Yeni Mosque one. Also, I kind of envy the idea of being able to sit and think it old places. I concede that taking my kids places is pretty cool, but it also means that my attention span must conform to that of whichever child happens to have the shortest attention span at that particular moment. Uninterrupted contemplation time sounds pretty glorious sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abu Halen. I am usually a go, see, doer when it comes to vacations but the husband has slowed me down immensely - in a good way of course :) It's the little things

      Delete
  5. Please never stop writing about your trips! Your pictures, your writing, your experiences--I am just eating all of this up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kristy - thank you! I felt so jazzed about Istanbul, I'm glad it's translating

      Delete
  6. I love everything about this post. I love that you went to Istanbul and just enjoyed. I have a tendency to rush through a place a little too much, but to sit and read and watch and draw sounds like an ideal holiday.

    I second the request (without being too pushy) to see some of your drawings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about you a lot on our trip - "What would she do in Istanbul? doh! I should have asked her about this!"

      I am definitely a rusher by nature but in combination with a slower travel companion and trying to draw more it has slowed me a down a lot. I like it.

      I have some drawings here - maybe I'll get brave in some of the future posts :)
      http://brookeerinlibrarianandbookbinder.blogspot.com/2014/04/visual-journal-istanbul.html

      Delete