10.04.2010

Girl in the Boys Club

If you know me, you know that I like to cook and bake and make stuff and in certain circumstances even, gasp, clean.  I like being a wifey and a homemaker.  But every once in a while my feminist self says "But don't think I just stay in the kitchen all day.  And I have ideas.  In fact, I'm a graduate student.  An almost finished one."

French class seems to have brought my sassy feminist self face to face with my Becky Home-Ecky self (to steal an awesome phrase from Jill Pearlman).  I'm the only girl in my class and I'm the only "spouse".  Don't get me wrong, the men in my class are super nice and always make me feel welcome.  In fact, I couldn't have picked a better group of folks to learn French with.  But, I'm still the only sista and as such have to represent.

After the weekend our teacher usually asks us what we did.  As it turns out, one of my favorite weekend activities is to cook all the fun things I didn't have time for during the week.  That's pretty much been my answer the last few Mondays.

Me: "Je Cuisine le Poulet Morocain"(I cook the Moroccan Chicken)
Teacher: "You like to cook, don't you?"
Me: "Oui."

So, while I'm professing my love of baking and all things homemakey,  I'm also trying to be fierce and in French.  And you know what?  It's kind of an awesome place to be.  I'm glad that I like to cook and study.  I'm glad that I enjoy making homemade egg noodles while conjugating irregular verbs in my head.  So without further ado, here are the fruits of my labor including the famous east coast blue crab which are not blue and I did not really cook - but ate with much pleasure:

Moroccan Chicken Stuffed with Dates and Saffron Rice
Moroccan Cous Cous - see a theme?
Kirmizi Mercimek Çorbasi (Turkish Soup) - Sounds Crazy, Makes Easy
Egg Noodles
Ze Little Crabbies

11 comments:

  1. Yum ... delish! I'd happily invite myself over if I lived near you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Moroccan anything food! Especially with dates and couscous. And I'm sure you do an excellent job representing us girlies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm! That chicken looks divine! And why is it that so many people think homemakers have a boring job? Cooking good food is fun, and definitely takes time, and there is so much else to keep me happily busy, and yet so many are quick to assume I get bored during the day... non! (did I pronounce it right? ;) !)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly Connie! Every once in a while when someone asks what I'll do at post they have a kind of sympathetic "how will you ever find meaning?" look about them. Um, make a home and explore the world? That's what I'll be doing.

    (To be fair, it happens less than I thought - which is good.)

    Bonne Prononciation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ith a cleaver I hack them in two...


    Will you publish or email me the soup recipe? It is cold and rainy and a new soup recipe would make my weekend. I love to cook on the weekend too! I also love you two!!!

    Meeba

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you rock. I love the fact that you're not their just as Max's wife. The Lord is going to open up so many doors for you because you work so freaking hard. BTW did you roast your chicken hot and fast or low and slow?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's terrific that you are tapping into your inner Julia Child. French language acquisition must just demand that one also explore making fantastic foods.

    Being a wife abroad who gets to explore the world is the most non-boring experience ever. Glad you don't feel any need to "defend" it...just embrace it. How lucky are YOU!?! (and actually, me too since I share the same basic "job description").

    Bon Appetit!
    NKL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brooke - Thanks for your comment on my blog about the Ironman. I appreciate your encouragement! I love your blog and can't wait to follow your adventures in Morocco from London. I'm sure we'll run into each other in this crazy FS world. Take care!
    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  9. good for you!
    And oh my goodness, those meals look DIVINE.

    ReplyDelete