3.05.2011

La Maison Blanche

or rather, The White House.

Max and I, feeling our days in DC slip quietly away, are trying to hit up things we haven't seen before departing in April.  Max's brother and his wife are in town and we have had a blast with them.  It's also given us an excuse to get out of our house after a long winter's nap and see the town.  Yesterday we woke up uber early and took a tour of The White House.

I think my favorite room was the Red Room where first ladies often entertain.  Not because of the room's function necessarily, but because it was pointed out that the rooms are still in use and some of the furniture in that room had even been stained from previous guests.   I just loved the idea of Spain's first lady getting a little tipsy and spilling red wine on the 100 year old sofa.  Or maybe Michelle Obama dealing a deck of cards on the beautiful inlaid table for a game of gin with the Queen and perhaps one of Burlesconi's girlfriends.

We also saw the President's Dog.  Talk about degrees of separation!  We are pretty much famous.  

 

9 comments:

  1. Your noun-adjective accord is perfect, but 'house' is feminine so you need a 'la' article. :)

    Does one pre-register for a WH tour? And I assume you weren't allowed to take pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! That sounds like something I would totally love to do. DC is one of many places on my list of places I want to see. And I guess since I know you, that makes me now famous too, right?

    By the way, I saw your mom yesterday when I took Addy to the doctor's office. It was just long enough to say a quick "hello," but it was so good to see her. She looks great, no surprise there though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! The Shame! Clearly I need to revisit the old textbook... Hopefully I will get better in Casablanca :)

    Jen - we'll be back in about two years (probably) give us a hollar. We'd love to host you. My Mom is nice, isn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun! I'm dying to take a tour of the White House. Someday . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago, when my sister Em was an intern out there, our fam had an AMAZING, behind-the-scenes crazy tour of the White House by a member of the secret service. Telling of how we hid from President Clinton in the China Room is one of my kids' all time favorites to hear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could describe to you the level of my jealousy. I would love to go to the White House! The closest I've been is a tour that Laura Bush gave the History Channel right before they left office...and the President's dog, get out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've come back to your blog after a long absence and recently spent a ton of time reading over several months of posts. I just LOVE it! I'm excited for you to go to Morocco. Adam's parents lived in Casablanca for 3 years or so. In the 70's of course...I'm sure things are a bit different. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you guys get the tour of the Capitol all squared up? If not, email me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah thanks so much! What did Adam's parents live in Casablanca for? We are SUPER excited.

    Ali - we sure did. Thanks for the hook up!

    ReplyDelete