8.02.2012

Ramadan is Here

We are actually in our 13th day of Ramadan here in the Maghbreg and so far so good.  Ramadan is a holy moth where Muslim's fast from sun up to sun down.  We spent our first Ramadan in Jerusalem and I've come to feel very fondly about it.  I know that a lot of expats are annoyed that restaurants and stores are closed , but you know what?  We are in someone else's country and this is what they do.  Deal with it.  

On a less soap boxy note, I dare you to listen to this song and not have it stuck in your head for weeks.  These guys came to post last year and, if you'll recall, I introduced my first (and last, let's be honest) hip hop concert...in a suit.  I was just beside myself about what to wear but even if I had wanted to dress the part, I have the closet of someone who shops at whole foods and arranges doggy playdates.  So I wore a suit - it was work afterall.    

2 comments:

  1. I would love to live in a Muslim country at one point in our career.
    It really is a good attitude to have- that we are living in a country with different traditions and holidays. Here, there is at least one holiday a month on the full moon, "Poya Days", and things are closed, but traffic isn't as bad.
    There are so any things we can learn from respecting and learning about the cultures/religions of the counties we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ate at Subway today...and I missed you so much my heart hurt.

    ReplyDelete