8.22.2013

Where We Are Now


There is more cheddar cheese in Muscat than in Jerusalem.  In fact, there are like five different kinds of cheddar to choose from.  We’ve had nachos for dinner twice now. 

The traffic is much better than it was in Casablanca and the city less hectic, but there isn’t a French bakery around the corner. 

The street food in Amman was better, but there are gobs of Indian restaurants in Muscat and I have to spend limited amounts of supervised time in the spice isle here so I don’t pass out with cooking potential excitement.  

This is both the best kind of thinking and the worst.  The most illuminating and the most stifling.  New places make you think about the way things work and what that says about the people and geographies that have engineered these things.  You compare food, clothing, shopping, communication, street names, driving habits, recreation, public worship, family interactions, social structures, government and rumored private behavior to better understand politics, religion, geography, history, power – humanity.  What is shared, what is different and what does it mean about them, about me, about us?  I’m not saying that you always or even ever get a place right, but the exercise has value.   Making observations about grocery store selection and street signs helps me understand values and make sense of histories. 

But there is also the danger of setting yourself up for negative experiences by applying definitive, evaluative, and often misinformed assessments to anything new.   Becoming someone who travels or moves to a new place and spends the whole time complaining “It was easier/better/more fun in _______________ than it is here.”  You bluster forth in a whirlwind of romantic energy about the place you left and how perfect it was – pre-empting first impressions and spoiling your time by not trying to figure out what a new place is.  What it ACTUALLY is.  This, along with touching, is one of my growing pet peeves.   Someone said to me recently that Jordan wasn’t even really in the Middle East because it didn’t have souks and fun medinas and nice people* and other Middle Eastern stuff.   I objected then, but in the weeks since I’ve actually grown livid about it.   We, outsiders, don’t get to tell a place what it is and what it isn’t.  Coming to a new country with Orientalist expectations (or whatever people have in other parts of the world) of what a place should be and determining it “bad” or even “good” – as if our narrow personal experience unequivocally defines a place, its people and its values - is paternalistic nincompoopery and a waste of time and energy at the very least.    

It is for this reason Paul Theroux, remarkable travel writer and noted misanthrope, hates the internet and many industries that have bloomed around travel.  They rob people of primary, primal experiences and the opportunity to make their own assessments.  People arrive with photoshopped pictures of Vietnam and are inevitably let down by what they find “That doesn’t look like Ha long Bay from the calendar…  I don’t like it here”. 

As a photographer and travel blogger the irony of this gripe is not lost on me.  I experience pretty regular paralysis about how to share the things I love without making travel about shallow consumption or participating in the Conde Naste-ing of it all.  I can’t think of a way to do that entirely, and so for now I just continue.

All of this is to say that during this first month in Oman I have been watching and learning and asking questions and making comparisons and trying to figure things out.  It’s normal and it’s not bad, unless it holds you back from getting to the why and what of a new place.  So far we are loving, loving Muscat.  I’ve tried to keep my comparisons fair and revealing instead of evaluative and definite, but honestly, it’s pretty great here.  We love our house and our neighborhood and have made many new friends.  Max likes his job and has a lot to do and I’m about to start my dream job next week at the International School library.  Our dog is happy, my kitchen is huge, the people seem nice and the city is lovely.  Our car should arrive next month and I'm already itchin' to get out and explore the beaches and mountains and wadis.  In the mean time, I'm working on my donotgetsunburnedtoacrispafterfivesecondsinthesun which is very different than working on a tan.     

As a small postscript: our stuff arrived today!  By accident (or gross misfeasancee it’s hard to say) our stuff was never even sent to the location where a fire might have burned it, but shipped immediately to Muscat. We spent the last few weeks just sure that not only had our candles and other liquids melted, bubbled and exploded in the heat, but that our printer, mixer, and ceramic dishware had oozed back into their component elements as well.  None of that happened.  Sometimes I overreact.  Thank you to all who wished us and our stuff well.    


*We met MANY wonderful and nice and hospitable people in Jordan.  So much so that we were convinced we wanted to make a career in the Middle East. 

10 comments:

  1. So glad you and your wonderful things are there safe. Can I just say every time I read your posts, I just think, "Man I really should read more, and try harder with my blog so it can be a 10th of what Brooke's is!" Thanks for always inspiring me to be a better writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Jana Bana! You are awesome. It's kind of scary to start saying what you really think about something, but it's ultimately the most rewarding. Thanks for the kind words cuz :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often think that if you arrive somewhere already 'knowing everything' than why bother? Adventure and discover are what make a place memorable, and the people you encounter along the way and with whom you share the adventure is what help make it a home and find it a place in your heart. We too fell in love with Oman, despite not all pleasant moments for those very reasons. I'm glad you are choosing to see the country for who she is rather than who she isn't. I'm looking forward to more of your insights and experiences these next years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you love Oman...and it sounds like you love as much as I did! I so miss the souk, the beaches, my house, my friends. I hope to spend Thanksgiving there. Lahore, and now Islamabad, is NOT Muscat! Enjoy your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful stuff! I'm so glad you seem to love Muscat as much as did in 2010-2012. I can't wait to go back and spend Thanksgiving there. Keep up the exploring...and don't forget to go in shops you come across. Sometimes, that door opens up to 50 other shops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debi - I'd love to meet you when you are in town. So far it has been really good to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you are enjoying your new home so far. Love your attitude. It is so hard to avoid comparing. Good luck settling in- can't wait to see photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how great that you are enjoying it so far. I love your attitude- it is so hard to avoid comparing! Good luck settling in!

    ReplyDelete