12.01.2009

We're Back, In A Big Way

After a near death flu experience, we're back.

And we have great news!

Max just learned yesterday that he has been put on the registrar for the State Department!  My little brother actually read the letter to us over the phone and we couldn't have imagined a better way to find out, Matt.  This means he passed all the background checks, medical checks, and final suitability panel.  It means we almost have a job!  After he is put on the list, depending on where he is on said list, he will be invited to an A-100 training class in D.C.  The class lasts about 7 weeks and then we ship off to...wherever.

It's all a matter of timing at this point.  Max's score is pretty high and with an Arabic language bonus we feel like he has good odds of getting invited to a class soon.  However, he has committed to this foundation that has paid a hefty sum for him to be here in Jerusalem.  So the plan now is to finish the school year, come home to Utah in July and spend a bit of time with our family before heading out to an A-100 class in the fall.  That would be ideal, but we aren't really sure when the class will be after we get home, or how to secure a spot.  Once you're on the list you wait for an invite, and then you wait anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 months until the class actually begins.  Max will talk to the HR rep today and see what information he can gather, but we are hoping to put our names on a "hold" list for about 6 months or so.  Maybe in May or June we will "un-hold" and hope that we get invited to the next class in D.C.   

But we are pretty sure that our plans are to come home this summer!  Max will have a year of graduate school under his belt and hopefully the State Department can send him back after a few tours to finish it - at their expense :) 

We must have known good news was coming because we celebrated before learning of this at the local Elvis Diner.  Yes, an American Elvis diner in Abu Gosh - between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.  We had Cheeseburgers and Chocolate Milkshakes.  And I even got a take home mug!  It was initially going to serve as our Thanksgiving away from home (can you believe i didn't even cook!) but celebration of more Foreign Service steps accomplished seems like a good reason too.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That's great news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!! I just have to tell the other day when I was cleaning my bathroom, really cleaning it I thought of you. I thought to myself, is it clean enough for Brooke? I just remember you hating hair, really bad. So if my bathroom is clean enough for you then it is really clean! I just thought you might think that was funny, I try to clean my bathroom to your standards!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Ever since I have found your blog, I have been reading some of the older posts so I know what a big deal this is! I also got your email and I promise I'll respond ASAP with my normal person email. I love your descriptions and stories. I can't wait to hear about the next adventure you have or place you go. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? Home for the 4th of July? Really? I am glad to hear Max is all better. I do dare say that "under the circumstances" will be right up there with I saw you putting on your pants. Love you love you. Amoeba

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather - I laughed and laughed when I read your comment! Unfortunately my bathroom standards have really gone down the tank, they kind of had to in order to survive staying in some of the places we have stayed. But oh, the days when I had a high standard of clean!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay - congrats. That's wonderful news! I'm not sure who I'm more excited for - you guys or myself and the fact that this guarantees I'll have years of good blog posts to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful news!! I wish we were going to be there in July to see you, we'll just have to visit you when you get shipped off somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Max and Brookie
    We are so excited for you. You two are just amazing. We love you and miss you terribly. Congratulations, Melissa and Ben

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats you two!! And yay! You are coming to DC next fall! I am so excited already!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. To all who sent their good wishes - thank you.

    ReplyDelete