3.02.2010

Tu Bishvat (updated with video!)

Almost a month ago Israel celebrated Tu Bishvat - a spring celebration for the "New Year of Trees". Wikipedia, take it away:

"Tu Bishvat is one of four "New Years" mentioned in the Mishnah. Customs include planting trees and eating dried fruits and nuts, especially figs, dates, raisins, carob, and almonds. In Israel, the flowering of the almond tree, which grows wild around the country, coincides with Tu Bishvat."

It is also very common for members of the society to get together and plant trees in areas that don't have a lot of vegetation or that lack the means to plant their own trees and gardens. This year Max's choir was asked to sing at such a tree planting event and the mayor of Jerusalem, Nir Baraket, was the guest of honor. I sat right behind him but was too chicken to ask to shake his hand.

Here is the mayor...and here are his awesome shoes. (The guy on the left without the kippa)

Here is a video of Max's choir singing one of their songs. I'm not sure why I just stopped recording at the end, but be prepared for an abrupt stop.

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I have added a blogroll for Future FSOs to my blog and have added a link to you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat-o! The things I learn reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you guys, in all of your traveling have you guys gone to Egypt? Lincoln and I are planning a trip to Egypt over memorial day and were wondering if you had any tips. You two seriously live the life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that the skill of reading or playing music allows you to connect and create with people no matter how different you are. And hearing Max's voice singing always makes me homesick.

    ReplyDelete