5.31.2010

Washingtonians - Past and Present

Well, this past weekend we got the official email inviting my husband to the August 2nd Jr. Officer class.  I'm going to repeat what he said to me when he went to Washington for his Oral Assessment "When I thought about not passing I got nervous.  And then I thought about passing...and I got more nervous."  We are both thrilled, but we also feel a bit more of the reality of it.  Which is good, I think.  We have both been trying to remember the ways in which it will be hard.  Just trying to keep our expectations in check and our joy jumping at a reasonable rate :)

But, YAY!

I digress.  The reason for this post is to ask anyone who lives or has lived in DC about apartment stuffs. We'd like to live in the District...but that's all I know.   I have sent an email to the corporate housing people in the area so we'll see what's available, but I don't think it's in the District.  Another option is to stay at a hotel for the first little bit until we find a place.  So, my questions are the following:

1) What neighborhoods in DC are "good" to live in?  How do you find apartments in those neighborhoods?

2) What hotels would be good to stay in for a few days?

3) Does anyone know anyone with an apartment for rent? Any good buildings? 1, 2 bedrooms?

4) Since we don't know how long we'll be in DC, will it be easier just to stay in the Corporate Housing?  Is it even possible to sign a rental agreement elsewhere without knowing how long we'll be there for?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.  THANKS!

12 comments:

  1. I'm confused.

    You - won't be staying at the Oakwood?

    You want to - sign a DC area apartment lease? Before flag day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about the Capitol Hill area, but haven't lived anywhere but Foggy Bottom and that was years ago. Check on Livelines (Yahoo group for FS folks)if you haven't already...good luck and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen!

    Daring Adventure - Your Oakwood question brings up something I hadn't thought about - can we even stay somewhere else if we don't know how long we'll be there for? I don't want to get locked in to anything before we know how long we'll be there ...hhhmmmm. We kind of want to stay in DC, but we might just not know any better. I didn't get to read your post about Oakwood. Maybe when you have a sec you can shoot me an email about your experience? Other advice for the move?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell Max to ask Nkoyo, if he hasn't already. If he needs her email address I have it. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! I'm very happy for you both. Enjoy the remainder of your vacation with a light heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love DC! The summer will be nice and steamy for you. But it is still a wonderful place. I'm afraid most of my living knowledge is more about Northern Virginia. But yes, you can rent some apartments for just a month at time and then extend as needed. I'll ask Lij for more details. Are you already in contact with any of Max's coworkers? They'd probably have the best suggestions as far as locations and how things work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and while it seems cool to be in the city, it will be expensive. As long as your along the metro line your just as good as in the district. Talk to Ali - she's there and has been an apartment bargain shopper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're at the Crystal City Oakwood, which is nice, and urban (as is the one in Rosslyn) but if you have your heart set on the district, there are often postings on livelines from people who're leaving TDYs and per-diem scale leases in DC... If you're willing to deal with paperwork and filling receipts, there are definitely leases that slide for unknown amounts of time out there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kiddos. I spoke to Nkoyo last night in the loft. She has yots and yots of ideas for you. Drop her a line. Love ooh, you little Italianos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats on your A100 acceptance!! Many people live in DC, get into your google group and there will be lots of conversations about it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONGRATS!! That's wonderful news! I'm a HUGE fan of the Eastern Market area - it's just wonderful. Definitely a great neighborhood vibe, good access to services, stores, restaurants, parks, and public transit. Email me offline if you want - but unless you get a DC assignment (which I suppose you can bid low? Do you want to go overseas first time?) there's no reason NOT to live in DC. Just get the landlord to sign a diplomatic release clause. Email me if you want more details, but since you basically have about $2400 a month to work with on the per diem schedule (that's for all utilities, rental, etc) there's no reason not to go somewhere you love, if you think you'll be there for a year or less.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We live in Arlington and love it. It is nice because you can have a yard and free parking, but we are only a hop, skip, and a jump away from DC. It literally takes me 10 minutes to drive to the Captiol for work. It is closer that most places in DC.

    Although, if you are interested in living in DC Captiol Hill, Foggy Bottom, Dupont Circle and even Adams Morgan are pretty safe/hip places to live. They are more pricy than some places you will find in Arlington though.

    If you are interested, email me and I can get you the info to be on the LDS list serve for our area. You can find some good deals on there. Plus it is pretty common to only need a place for a couple of months with all the interns coming in and out of this town on a regular basis.

    I can't wait to have you guys in DC with us!

    ReplyDelete