5.30.2010

"It Looks Like You're Wearing Red Chaps"

...is what my husband said to me after our first night in Eilat when I changed for bed.  Despite a rather red lower half, I did a pretty good job on the sunscreen everywhere else and emerged from this weekend looking only slightly sunkissed on the nose and cheeks.   That's a pretty big accomplishment for me. 

We are home and our little 'cation was just wonderful.   Firstly, thanks to all you well-wishers who sympathized with our hostel situation and gave me permission treat myself to my own toilet in the future.  I think I will take you up on that.

Secondly, snorkeling is rad.  We spent the first two days just snorkeling in the Red Sea at Coral Beach National Park and reading under the shade of our thatch shelter.

I think we decided that Eilat is a little bit like Las Vegas meets Miami Beach.  It has the hotel culture of Las Vegas...and a little bit of the tackiness, but also the wild young beach scene of Miami.  At least from what I've seen in the movies.  We were glad to find the more removed, natural sights of Eilat and just chill during what was a VERY hot weekend.  We ate great food, walked a state fair-esque boulevard one night (complete with fire roasted corn on the cob and fake tattoo stands), and toured the Sea World of Israel.  It was a very relaxing get away that has put us in the right frame of mind to get rid of all of our stuff and say our last goodbyes.  
(Pic of the sweet Rare Fish Aquarium we went to)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an amazing trip. I am so glad you guys didn't stay in the hostel. It sounded dreadful.

    I'm kind of not okay with you guys leaving. There, I said it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun looking vacation. I am totally into the 'cation idea instead of a vacay. I don't know if that was your intention, but it is now in my head. I have not seen it before, so I think it is unique. Ten points for uniqueness and ten points for amazing pictures. Many, many more points for your own toilet. Congrats on a great trip.

    ReplyDelete