5.06.2010

Panic at the...Student Dorm

I got this email today from the coordinator of the summer camp Max and I are planning on teaching for in Italy: 


"I will most probably be able to place both you and Maxwell together at Camerino.  You will be with separate host families though."


I'm sorry,...what?  You will probably be able to put us in the same city but we certainly won't be living in the same house?  I've been in a panic since I read this.  That's pretty much a deal breaker for us and I think that would be a standard reaction for any married persons.  I think perhaps they are used to dealing with party animal 20 somethings, not old fuddy marrieds like us.  


To compound the panic the following things are true: 


1.  We have to be out of our apartment by June 6th. 
2.  We have NON-REFUNDABLE tickets home from Rome on the 27th of June.  


Ahhhh, what to do with 3 weeks and no house and no money?  I've been tossing and turning in my bed thinking of scenarios that pieced together weeks in different places with friends in Europe or the Middle East or in cheap hostels until our flight leaves on the 27th, but I can't quite work it out in my head yet.  This isn't to say that things won't work out with Teaching English.  We really hope it does.  She may email us tomorrow and say that they can put both of us up in the same place and all will be well (almost - we still have to spend the first training week in gender separated dorms...lame but barely bearable...maybe).  


So, if we can't get a place together, which seems like a totally reasonable request to me, we are open to suggestions...in fact we are begging for them!   



6 comments:

  1. I'll have just moved into my new post, which is in your neighborhood of the world... you might not know me, I certainly don't know you, but hey, FS folk unite, right? Send me an email if you want to couch surf for a month in Turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Friday, and it’s the Weekly State Department Blog Roundup’s Three Month Blogiversary - and you're on it!

    Here is the link:

    http://bit.ly/azzT3n

    (If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always ask one of your host families when you get there if you and Max can have a "slumber party" at their house...or get a tent and sleep on their front porch/balcony/sidewalk.

    If all else fails, there's always couch surfing. Brian and Callie have had many good experiences; I'm sure Callie would love to share her wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I just say I love the Foreign Service? (That we are not even technically a part of yet?) Great folks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our house is mostly already booked up with visitors in June, but the guest room will probably be free from about June 14-18 if that's helpful at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MBC - We may take you up on this. Still waiting for a response from Italy...

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete